Thursday, May 24, 2012

The War at Victory 2012 Review - Part 2 - The Videos

ScreenShot2012-05-24at5.15.29PM-2012-05-24-17-29.png

The War is one of our biggest events at Victory Baptist Church, so we always try to bring our A-Game. Earlier in the year when we were planning out the event, we wanted to do some creative promo videos again this year. This was the final straw In my decision to upgrade some equipment. My current setup for video was severely lacking, especially when it came to High Definition. After much debate I took the plunge on Final Cut Pro X, which deserves a whole blog article in its own right. I also upgraded my Canon DSLR to a T2i so I could get some HD video. And so the War at Victory 2012 Commercials began.


We released the first Commercial, “Gone Fishin”, two weeks before the event started on May 10th, as well as a movie trailer with a few clips from last year. A week later Commercial 2 , “The Basement”, followed and finally Commercial 3, “It’s Here”, on the morning of the event. As I mentioned in the Part 1 blog they were a success, they have been viewed over 1,000 times. Surprisingly, the Gone Fishin ad seemed to get the most response from people. It was funny because I really struggled a lot with that one. It all made sense when I was sketching out a script and shooting the video. But when I started editing it, it didn’t seem to make sense anymore. A guy goes fishing and some stranger pops out of the water, now what does that have to do with the War? After a lot of time and Mountain Dew it all seemed to work out. These seem to be the solution for many a creative problem, hahah!


ScreenShot2012-05-24at6.07.00PM-2012-05-24-17-29.pngScreenShot2012-05-24at5.42.52PM-2012-05-24-17-29.png

A ton of thanks goes out to folks who helped out with the commercials, especially Dallas Brown and John Higgins. They did a great job and I am sure that their acting careers will continue to blossom.


Next, was the event videos themselves. This is my number one job during the War. I’ve got to get as many good video clips on the website as quick as possible. The goal is to have these video clips up for the kids to view as soon as each night finishes up. Then by the next morning, I try to have an edited highlight video finished. This is not an easy task, and fortunately I was able to get one of my best pals to help me this year. A huge thanks to Chris Waye. He got tons of great video, mastered the Youtube upload, and put up with me yelling at him every night. His assistance allowed me to concentrate on the slideshows and website updates, and it wouldn’t have been possible without him. Chris, since I can’t pay you, here is a shameless plug - Go to this website for the Waye Family - Missionaries to the British Isles - and assist them financially or prayerfully.

ScreenShot2012-05-24at5.11.55PM-2012-05-24-17-29.png

I also want to thank Tyler Payne for being my go to GoPro guy. I was able to get my hands on the new Hero2 from GoPro and got some awesome action shots. Adding the GoPro camera to the mix made the highlight videos a lot more entertaining. With all of the media that we got, it was difficult to choose which shots and clips to use. Really, that’s not a bad problem to have.

IMG_7901-2012-05-24-17-29.jpg

Finally, I wanted to give a shoutout to my uncle, J Hardee of Hardee Imaginations Photography. He and his photo assistants are also running around like crazy during the event, trying to get that perfect picture. I didn’t think he could outdo the pictures from the War event from last year, but he just might have done it! He took a ton of pics and you can see them on his website Here.


The War at Victory is really a giant undertaking. There are long hours spent in preparation, presentation, and post War cleanup. It took me over a week to recover. Wow! I can’t wait til next year!


Stay up to date with The War at Victory or check out the 2012 highlights at our site www.thewaratvictory.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Victor Design Blog

Random thoughts on Advertising and Design.

Vic's Posts

Followers

HomeRO1
AboutRO1
PortRO1
ContactRO1
BlogRO1